No matter how strong your endurance is against pain, a toothache will leave you restless and in great discomfort. There are many reasons why you might be having tooth pain. However, cavities, gum disease, and infection happen to be among the most common toothache causes.
In this article, we have discussed the best treatment for toothache. Continue reading!
How to Get Rid of Toothache?
The treatment depends majorly on its cause. Taking pain medication or following home remedies for toothache will only provide you respite for a temporary period. Ultimately, the pain will return if you haven’t taken concrete action. Therefore, it’s recommended to visit your dentist at the earliest and determine the cause of the pain. Some dental clinics also offer emergency treatment. So, you can visit them without taking a prior appointment.
Different Toothache Causes and Treatments
- If it’s a cavity that’s causing toothache, dentists usually fill the cavity to cure it. In some cases, they may have to take the tooth out. You can get a dental implant as its replacement.
- A root canal procedure is performed in case of a teeth infection. During this procedure, the dentist removes the infected pulp and replaces it with sealing material. You may have to visit your dentist multiple times to get this treatment.
- The dentist may prescribe an antibiotic if the pain is caused by the swelling of the jaw.
- In some cases, teeth infection may be caused by a tiny piece of food that’s gotten stuck under the gums. The dentist may perform a deep cleaning treatment to treat the infection. Furthermore, they may also recommend the patient undergo periodontal therapy.
- If the toothache is caused by damaged or broken teeth, the dentist may recommend taking the teeth altogether and then replacing them with an implant.
- Your dentist, upon carrying out a detailed oral inspection, will recommend the best treatment to help you get rid of the pain after diagnosing the root cause.
- You may also experience toothache due to your wisdom tooth. The dentist will most likely recommend wisdom tooth extraction treatment in such a situation.
How Long Does a Toothache Last?
This depends on the cause of the toothache. In some cases, it comes and goes on its own. However, some patients face continuous pain that varies in terms of intensity. It is of utmost importance that you schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as the pain starts. Delaying it will only worsen the condition.
Can Home Remedies Help to Get Rid of it?
If there’s still time for your dentist appointment and the pain is getting unbearable, you can follow certain home remedies to get rid of the pain. However, as stated above, they only provide temporary respite. Thus, do not treat it as an alternative to toothache treatment.
In all, you will find numerous ways to get rid of toothache, but if you want a long-term solution, it’s important to rely on your dentist’s recommendation. They will tell you what to do for a toothache after analyzing your oral health condition.